Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Maury The Decadent Lounge Lizard

Maury, the decadent lounge lizard:

“Decadence“,

the word crawled out of his mouth like a spider

Maury lit his two dollar cigar and struggled for a lighter in the pocket of his baby blue leisure suit

Tossed a cigarette stub that he incidentally found in between the cushions of the cheap red couch as he sunk in

“I prefer to say I have a general sense of exuberance for life ya'know?”

He tapped the ash of his cigar onto a cat that lay on the floor, which didn't even care to writhe – it sat stoically.

“Thats my cat, Cohiba Behike”

I grew uneasy and tried to express nonchalance

He likes it” he croaked a laugh

Cohiba is one exemplary animal – aint ya Cohi”

He said as he rubbed the ash into the cat's soft fur

There was an uncomfortable silence,

Maury sat up

“This hotel is run by my progeny you know”

he said brusquely

“The manager is my first, and the kid who cleans the pool is my godson”

I stared blankly,

“They are so goddamn effervescent, ya'know”

Maury let smoke slowly excape his lips and a tear rolled down his cheek


No comments:

Post a Comment