Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Why I am not a Latina?


I am not a Latina because I do not like to listen or dance to Salsa and Merengue. I hate the smell and the spicyness of the rice, beans and chicken that my grandmother cooks. I dislike having to speak Spanish because my grandparents do not understand my “No, I don’t want to’s” or “Why do I have to’s?” I am not a Latina because being Latina is not in my blood. By living in the United States, I do not want to be a Latina and that is why I am not one. Although I love watching the Red Sox play, I also love watching the Celtics and at times, the Patriots playing because that is what makes me American. I love listening to Pop, Hip Hop, Techno, Country and Rock and Roll because I do not have to dance it with one specific style, but instead I could be free about it and move the way I want to move. That is being American, being free to be who you want to be, and that is why I am not a Latina. Latinas are so traditional by following all the same traditions and customs that their ancestors did, even when they have moved from their countries. I like to try new things and by doing this, I do not like to follow all of the norms because it will just simply label me as one thing, and I am more than that.

1 comment: