Monday, November 29, 2010

Dynan and I

He yells out “Dynan” a strong and harsh voice that rings in my ears. That is what my drill sergeant coach calls me. I dislike it, I feel like I am being controlled by my name. This name is like a label on a soccer ball that sticks to me and I cannot get it off. I am addicted to soccer; I use the soccer ball as a ticket to my future. I want to be recruited for soccer and play for my four years of college. I have a talent, I am committed to soccer and I always work hard. Dynan just wants to give up and she cannot take it anymore. The pressure is too severe for Dynan and she thought soccer was supposed to fun. As Dynan hears her name being called, she just wants to give up on soccer. I have been playing soccer since the age of five and it is always fun for me. I love soccer and I couldn’t live without it. All the pressure lands Dynan in the hospital: a broken ankle. “Out for 2 weeks the doctor says,” at this point Dynan gives up on her coach and the season. But I never quit so I continue with the season. My ankle heals and I finish the season out strong playing for myself and for my team.

14 comments:

  1. Demick and I love the label metaphor. It really helps us understand what Dynan is feeling and is a creative and clever way of combining her feelings and the topic of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the line "This name is like a label on a soccer ball that sticks to me and I cannot get it off." Palmer thinks this piece is really powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodman likes the contrast between Dynan and I during the pressure part of the piece. I agree with Goodman and think that comparison adds strength as well as passion to this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steinberg and I like how instead of having Dynan be the hero, or the magnified, glorified version of the author, Dynan is magnified to the other extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mamon and I enjoy love how this was a true story. We enjoy the contrast between Dynan and I. Never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaff liked the way the piece described the opposite emotions about soccer; while "I" loves soccer and can't get enough, Dynan feels all the pressure and wants to stop. I liked how while the piece talks about two different people, all the while I get the feeling that these two people are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tension here is palpable. The love and hate. The desire to play and the desire to not want to play is beautifully rendered. You write with dexterity and honesty. It's so hard. That's what I kept thinking while you were reading this. Lippman kept thinking, you captured the dichotomy of emotions surrounding soccer with grace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gruber and Dynan are similar: they want to give up. I enjoyed the piece, but reading it made me feel comforted that I am not as alone in my situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. West thinks this writing is relatable and she understand where you are coming from. It makes me think about having too identities in one player. When you give up, Dynan continues. I think that if you both didn't give up, you'd be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Furr and I can really relate to this piece! We think you did a great job describing the two, and keeping the two separate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the fact that Dynan is the weaker person in this piece and that I is stronger. I also like the fact that it's told in a narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand the pressure, the conflict between who you are and what the other one who shares your name has created. One of you goes ever forward, one of you hangs back unsure of the path so steep to climb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Randles identified with alot of what Dynan had to say. Randles especially enjoyed the line:"The pressure is too severe for Dynan and she thought soccer was supposed to fun."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aswad admires how you seem to put so much effort in soccer even when you feel defeated or exhausted. I really like how you said you're addicted to soccer - it seems to capture the mood of your writing, how you play soccer again and again even when you feel pressured.

    ReplyDelete