Monday, November 29, 2010

Jaff and I

Meet Jaff; she is a singer. Her one and only instrument: her voice. She sings in front of large audiences, soaking up the attention, the fame, the glory. I know Jaff; Jaff knows me. We are one and the same; we are two different people. Jaff opens her mouth and emits a melodious sound; one that can only occur by mixing notes and letting them gently yet forcefully roll off her vocal cords. She accepts the fact that she may not succeed every time; she lives for improvement; thrives on the stage. Jaff is the singer, the front man, the performer. Who am I?

Jaff and I harmoniously coexist; we do not know each other deeply, yet we know everything we need to know. Jaff is me when I am on the stage. When I am Jaff, I am my best self. I try to follow in Jaff’s footsteps; I let her take the lead, show me the way, shine the light on the dark, winding path. Jaff is the light side of the moon; I am the dark. I know Jaff; I recognize Jaff more than I recognize myself. Jaff is ever-knowing, over-powering, and consumes my being. I cannot liberate myself from Jaff; I belong to her. Without Jaff, I am nothing.

16 comments:

  1. I really like this! I thought it was beautifully written and very informative. Palmer really likes the style in which it was written it had a great tone/flow to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting use of language and an especially excellent use of contradictions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Demick and I think this is a lovely piece that really shows the deep connection between you and Jaff. You leave us as readers curious and questioning to learn more about your intricate relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodman thinks that this blog entry is good. It gave him insight on your ability to sing. I however, thought that I knew this Jaff, and what I thought has been confirmed about the Jaff part of Carli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that Jaff is pretty cool the way she lives in I. Lippman wonders why Jaff is the alpha in the narrative and the "I" is not. The tension that Lippman thinks you create is tremendous. I know from this piece of writing that song means everything. Beautiful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steinberg and I relate to the passion that Jaff feels about singing. Steinberg and Jaff are similar in that way. Steinberg also likes the similes and and metaphors between the author makes between Jaff and herself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mamon and I enjoy Jaff and I's abstract view of each other. It is interesting how they know each other, but at the same time don't...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this poem is very well written and I like the sharp sentences. Schechter wants to hear more about Carli though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gruber understands Jaff; he is in the same situation. I find myself in a position similar to Carli's, but also different. I cannot free myself from Gruber, but I want to be free. However, without him, I could do so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. West and I think this writing is powerful because of the repetition of the name "Jaff" and the way you describe her in very specific detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. segar and i like the writing but we are curious about the differences between jaff and you for there isn't much description of this

    ReplyDelete
  12. Furr likes how you start and end your piece and thinks you did a great job explaining "Jaff" and "I", while I like how you transitioned into the second half of your piece with the question, "Who am I?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find the line when you announce that you follow Jaff particularly fascinating. In others, there seems to be some tension and some separation, but you are clear that the two of you are at peace. Your descriptive tongue has made the position of you and Jaff particularly well illuminated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love what you wrote. Aswad understands that feeling of trying to better herself. I wonder how I would feel and act without the motivational Aswad. I would probably feel apathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dynan likes how you split jaff and yourself apart. I like how you 2nd paragraph with jaff and yourself together as one.

    ReplyDelete