Monday, November 29, 2010

Gruber and I

Gruber sits in front of the computer, pushing keys and clicking buttons while explosions and bullets dance across the screen. It is the only source of light in the room. I hate him for doing this, night after night, like clockwork. Gruber will exit one game and open another, never pausing, never slowing, never wondering why he can’t do anything else but stare at the pixelated images of things that are far more beautiful in the sunlight outside. I try to talk to Gruber but he never listens. Nowadays, he doesn’t listen to anything but the sounds of zeroes and ones in the throes of artificial death by his simulated hands.

Sometimes he drags me into it with him; I get swept away in the tide of make-believe worlds, and for a brief moment I know why he wants to live here instead. Other times he won’t let me leave: he keeps me here while he sits and plays. I’ve given up on trying to convince him that there is life outside the machine. I will have to live that life on my own. Gruber will stay behind and grow old in front of the circuits and wires and zeroes and ones, and maybe someday he’ll wonder why he didn’t go with me.

15 comments:

  1. I really like this piece. I understand the struggle between Gruber and yourself (I). Its very powerful. Palmer likes how deeply you describe Gruber. It is sad, but there is also hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Demick and I love how "I" is breaking away from Gruber and how well written this piece is. It's architecture is witty but heartfelt and makes it easy for the reader to be able to compare there on life scenarios to this. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. West and I think you're writing is clear but at the same time intricate. I like the way your writing makes Gruber seem like a addict, dead and electronic just like the video games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the piece really explores Gruber and why he is the way he is instead of just stating that he is a certain way. Jaff likes the way the writing is dark and almost morbid, yet it is also full of life. Jaff and I can somewhat relate to the struggle of "I' trying to fight Gruber and get out of his world and into the real one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam--First off, you read beautifully. Such confidence in the speaking voice. Well done. Secondly, extremely well articulated piece about the conflict between the machine and the trees, the beauty of one world vs. the beauty of another world, one natural, the other, pixelated. What a great word. Lippman and I both think this is the tops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. segar and I like the writing style and your ability to compare what you know you should be doing to what gruber finds himself doing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Schechter and I really like this piece. We were interested the whole time and especially like the end where I leaves Gruber to go be his own person. You fit in the comparison between Gruber and I so naturally into this story that I almost forgot about it in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodman likes the deepness of the piece and agrees that Gruber and I's relationship is completely different than Goodman and I's. However, I believe that they are very similar because one is dragging the others weight and, and not waiting is no longer waiting for the other. We both liked the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steinberg and I like how Gruber is really intent on staying inside and playing video games and overpowers the author. Steinberg doesn't like that the author has given up trying to go outside or stop playing the video games and feels that the author and Gruber should keep trying. I feel like its a natural human reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Furr and I like how descriptive the piece is; especially how you describe the first scene.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Randles really liked this piece. Although Randles does hope that someday the whole of Sam Gruber will go out into the beautiful sunlight.

    My favorite line:
    "Nowadays, he doesn’t listen to anything but the sounds of zeroes and ones in the throes of artificial death by his simulated hands."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aswad felt kind of sad reading what you wrote, but I love the connection and disconnection between you and Gruber.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mamon and I want to know why you didn't FORCE Gruber to go with you.
    Videogames, are only supposed to be used for fun, not for life. In an instance, gruber could think of life as a videogame.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dynan and I liked how you are your worst enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was once that way. Now I am in the opposite. I do not know which is worse.

    ReplyDelete