Friday, November 12, 2010

What makes me visible

What makes me visible is that I have figured out how NOT to talk

There are right and wrong ways to say anything. The laws of society. A president must speak like a president and a scientist must speak like a scientist. In order to be accepted and listened to by society, one must learn to speak the way they are supposed to. Or more importantly, the way they aren’t supposed to. It isn’t a matter of choice. If a president starts speaking like a scientist, then society will stop seeing him as a president. He will lose his credibility as a politician. When people speak in a way that doesn’t line up with how they are supposed to speak, they are not listened to. Ignored. If nobody listens to you, how can they be expected to see what kind of a person you are? Doesn’t that make you invisible? I am just as invisible as the person next to me. The only times that anyone catches a glimpse of the kind of person I am are when I am speaking. Knowing how to make people listen is the only way I can ever hope to be seen. To achieve that I need to know how to talk, or more importantly, how not to talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment