Friday, September 3, 2010

Keshishian and I

I am as stupid and lazy as one could ever be while she sits at her desk with her books and brain ready for the tests of knowledge that society puts on our shoulders. Keshishian lives a life unlived filled with the stories of others and the puzzles of numbers. I live the life that I learn from my eyes, from the mistakes that I make and the risks that I take. She studies for hours about things that she will never use; with all her knowledge she should see how pointless her life has come to be. Why waste a life that could be so lively for the pleasure of others gloating?

They are proud of her, a father and mother will always be proud of her, for her glorious pursuits. Who is proud of a daughter with no brain? A daughter that brings them no fame? I am jealous, filled with envy. The concept is so magical to her, bare with me while I try to help you see. An idea that never crossed her mind, a word she had never heard, a puzzle that once looked like a haze of numbers, a story she never knew; she reads for hours, listens closer than owls, for from this something she never knew maybe an hour or two prior is now permanently in her brain. They call it learning; she thinks its magic. For as long as she tries, even if she never dies, there will always be something new that she once never knew to fill her mind with wonder. It keeps her intact, for when you listen to the stories of others, the stories of numbers, your stories no longer matter.

I live life when she is sleeping, when her mind is healing, when her brain decides its time for vacation. I wait for her; she does not wait for me. Throw us on island, hand her a book, and make me wander. She will stay sane while I slowly lose my brain. I live my life with no rules; I am given the right to make choices until she sweeps me away, throws me in a book, and tells me this is what happened, you don’t get a voice. I am stupid and lazy living a life that lives in the present. Keshishian is filled with knowledge, yearning to learn the lives of others, lives of numbers. I live life; she learns theirs.

10 comments:

  1. "I like the life that I learn from my eyes, from mistakes that I make and the risks that I take". This line is really deep and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I wait for her; she does not wait for me." Very interesting-golden line- LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this line,"I live my life with no rules; I am given the right to make choices until she sweeps me away, throws me in a book, and tells me this is what happened, you don’t get a voice." This tells me that you only have one life, just go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very complex piece of writing, Ani, one in which you explore, on a deep level, the machinations of the mind, the treble of the spirit that wants to know and wants not to know. Tremendous work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the last line "Keshishian is filled with knowledge, yearning to learn the lives of others, lives of numbers. I live life; she learns theirs." It wraps up the whole story and brings it to a close really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I live life when she is sleeping, when her mind is healing, when her brain decides its time for vacation." This line showed a good contrast between the two characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good work i like the passion towards learning

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this piece! The sentence that stuck out to me the most was " I live my life with no rules; I am given the right to make choices until she sweeps me away, throws me in a book, and tells me this is what happened, you don’t get a voice." I really like how you made it seem as if she makes you do the things you really don't prefer to do. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "They call it learning; she thinks its magic." So symbolic !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I live life; She learns theirs" This line is beautiful. It made me think.

    ReplyDelete