Friday, September 3, 2010

Levesque and I

I watch as Levesque strokes the brush over the white board, bombarding the surface with a rainbow of colors. She works slowly at first, hesitant. Somehow almost afraid that she will break the solid board with only her paintbrush. But gradually, Levesque’s brush strokes become quick and sharp, more confident in what she is doing. She works fast and after 2 long hours, the tiger is nearing completion. I know it looks good. I KNOW it does. But Levesque steps back and looks at it. Her brows furrow together, her lips press into a thin white line. She’s not impressed, and it shows. So she sits, drowns out everything around her, and begins to paint. Her eyes become dark and focused, contemplating her every move. She dislikes everything about the painting. The shapes around the tiger eyes are too dark, the whiskers too thick. The eyes are the only thing she took some pride in. Yellow and bright, she herself felt intrigued by them. After 4 more hours a paint drenched Levesque stood once more, looking. As she stared, a slow, bright smile spread out on her face. Finally, it was finished. She hangs up her painting, and scrubs the paint-covered brushes and palette. The sound of soft steps hitting the floor fill the room. The door opens, and I follow close behind. Just like I always do.

13 comments:

  1. i like the way it ended even the your different your always together

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The door opens, and I follow close behind. Just like I always do." Such a powerful line! I like how it is from your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The sound of soft steps hitting the floor fill the room". This line has a ton of detail and it really allows you to picture what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice line in your piece,"The eyes are the only thing she took some pride in. Yellow and bright, she herself felt intrigued by them."

    ReplyDelete
  5. "After 4 more hours a paint drenched Levesque stood once more, looking."
    - great persistence and detail overall

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I know it looks good. I KNOW it does. But Levesque steps back and looks at it. Her brows furrow together, her lips press into a thin white line. She’s not impressed, and it shows." I like these sentences because it gives a contrast to how Levesque and I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You paint with your words, Emily, that is how strong the piece is.

    Lines like,

    Yellow and bright, she herself felt intrigued by them. After 4 more hours a paint drenched Levesque stood once more, looking....

    are a shining example of this. You explore the mind/spirit of yourself as a painter with a deft touch. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the line "bombarding the surface with a rainbow of colors". I can clearly see what the paintbrush is doing on the canvas. It's really descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. " Somehow almost afraid that she will break the solid board with only her paintbrush." I like how this line shows how carefully she works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the line "Somehow almost afraid that she will break the solid board with only her paintbrush." The whole piece is really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These last lines are incredible;
    "She hangs up her painting, and scrubs the paint-covered brushes and palette. The sound of soft steps hitting the floor fill the room. The door opens, and I follow close behind. Just like I always do."
    The last two closing lines are also really amazing and show really sophisticated sentence structure/variation :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your writing and the feelings you convey through your words, especially the contrast between your inner self being satisfied with your work, and your more critical self.

    "I know it looks good. I KNOW it does. But Levesque steps back and looks at it."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very great depiction of the frustration between the two sides of you. You use a lot of descriptive language here too. My favorite quote: "The door opens, and I follow closely behind. Just like I always do."

    ReplyDelete